Our top picks of the most affordable luxury facial oils
You might have noticed that luxury face oils do not come cheap. What we’ve found in analyzing hundreds of face oils on the market is that it really comes down to brand positioning. Like we’ve found time and again, it’s not always price that dictates anything other than the fact that it’s just a more expensive brand positioning. It will sometimes be hard to verify this when you read product descriptions so as always, trying in real life to see what results you get is always the best way. That’s why we love being able to pop a product into the Skincare Compare comparison platform and see what similar alternatives come up. Those are then the products you can dig into more closely and maybe even try in real life. Sometimes the results are even more expensive than the target product but other times, you find a load of options that are more wallet friendly. We wanted to highlight today 5 really cool affordable facial oil alternatives that our algorithm recently discovered.
But first, let’s drill down a bit into what a face oil is supposed to do in your routine.
What does a facial oil do?
As you may know, oils function as an occlusive and an emollient. Emollients make the skin softer. The occlusive action works with the oil locking everything in like a sealant on your skin. So while it doesn’t “hydrate” (drawing water from the air and products to actually hydrate skin cells like popular humectants glycerin and hyaluronic acid) on its own, an oil can keep water from escaping and trap humectant ingredients and emollients onto your skin. So the idea is that your skin can stay more hydrated and soft throughout the day. A face oil can also be used for gua sha.
Finds; The Top 5 Affordable Luxury Face Oil Alternatives
Great, now that we know why people use them, let’s move on to revealing those great luxury face oil matchups we’ve discovered:
- Herbivore Botanicals – Lapis Facial Oil $72 for 50ML has a 93% Match Score comparable in Acure – Seriously Soothing Blue Tansy Night $12.99 for 30mL
- Drunk Elephant – Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil $72 for 30mL has a 100% Match Score comparable in Deciem – The Ordinary 100% Cold-Pressed Virgin Marula Oil $9.90 for 30mL
- Josie Maran – 100% Pure Argan Oil $49 for 50mL has a 100% Match Score comparable in InstaNatural – Organic Argan Oil $10.99 for 47mL
- Kora Organics – Noni Glow Face Oil $69 for 30mL has a 76% Match Score comparable in Pixi - Jasmine Oil Blend $24 for 30mL
And it would be incomplete to leave our own brand Khyn & Grail KG185 facial oil off the list…
- ??? (click here to see how it compares) Khyn & Grail – KG185 Botanical Oils Facial Serum $59 for 30mL
Don't forget that you can always search your own comparable beauty products over on our ingredient-list similarity tracker SKINSKOOL. We add new products everyday so your comparable beauty discoveries are just a quick search away.